- Offered During
- Semester 1, Semester 2
- 10, 11, 12
- No Cost
Application Period: October 13-30, 2020 & February 1-19, 2021
The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) challenge is an evaluation and credit-granting process. Students that have acquired the knowledge and skills outside of secondary school and as outlined in the Curriculum documents provided by the Ontario Ministry of Education, may obtain grade 10-12 credits for prior learning that will go towards their secondary school diploma (OSSD).
Policies Governing the Challenge Process…
- Secondary school students who are enrolled in a regular day school program in a secondary school.
- Students who have their Principal’s approval.
- A mature student who is at least eighteen years of age, out of school for at least one year and returning to regular day school.
- Students under the age of eighteen need parental approval before applying to challenge for credit.
- Students may challenge for credit only for Grade 10, 11, and 12 courses in provincial curriculum policy documents.
- Students may earn no more than four credits through the challenge process, including a maximum of two credits in any one subject area.
- Students may obtain credits through the “equivalency” process if they have credentials from schools outside Ontario.
The PLAR process involves two components: “challenge” and “equivalency”.
The “challenge” process is the process whereby students’ prior learning is assessed for the purpose of granting credit for a Grade 10, 11, or 12 course developed from a provincial curriculum policy document published in 1999 or later.
The “equivalency” process is the process of assessing credentials from other jurisdictions.
Before Completing the Application
- Visit the Ontario Ministry of Education to see the curriculum and expectations of the course you wish to challenge.
- Complete the online PLAR Student Application Form and submit to the YCDSB, Continuing Education Department.
- Have all your relevant documents ready to be uploaded to your Digital Portfolio.
For more information regarding the PLAR process and to complete the PLAR Application Form contact Dina Raso 905-713-1211 ext 13605.