Grades: 8, 9, 10
This 2 week course will give students the opportunity to develop either their literacy skills in reading or writing that are evaluated by the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test. All students in Ontario must demonstrate these skills as a requirement for graduation.
Focus of the program will be to help students build a better understanding and awareness of the following four domains of well-being:
- Cognitive: The development of abilities and skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, and the ability to be flexible and innovative.
- Emotional: This involves learning about experiencing emotions, and understanding how to recognize, manage and cope with them.
- Social: The development of self-awareness, including the sense of belonging, collaboration, relationships with others, and communication skills.
- Physical: The development of the body, impacted by physical activity, sleep patterns, healthy eating, and healthy life choices.
PLEASE NOTE: External students are required to obtain the approval of their day school Principal before they can register online for this program.
Click on the button below to download a copy of this form.
Students in this 2 week reading course will;
- read a variety of informational, narrative and graphic texts
- gain knowledge of the structure & organizational elements of various texts
- use a variety of strategies to understand unfamiliar & technical vocabulary and language used figuratively
- gain knowledge in grammatical structures & punctuation
Students in this 2 week writing course will;
- produce a variety of forms of writing, including summaries, information paragraphs, opinion pieces and news reports
- partake in the writing process by re-writing, organizing, drafting, revising and editing
- learn to develop a main idea, provide supporting details, organize & link ideas and information, use appropriate tone, use correct grammar 7 punctuation & use correct spelling.
No classes are currently being offered. Please check back often for the most up to date information.